Wednesday 14 November 2012

Indigo maniac

The newspapers  tell me that life is dreadful, and like everybody, I have my share of dips and troughs in life, so, true to my new philosophy of escapism that I have developed lately, I have been burying myself in my art this week.  And what a productive week it has been.  The onset of high humidity and the first of the rainy season onslaughts hasn't even stopped me.......and you know how I hate humidity!

Last week, I experimented with shibori techniques, using needle and thread to gather fabric, rubber bands, and clamps of clothes pegs and paper clips.  As a result of this experience, let me state right now that using a needle and thread is not for me, and I loathe the technique.  It looks great when other people do it, but I get frustrated at how long it takes,  and undoing the stitching is hell to do without ripping the fabric.  Plus, when I do it, I leave little needle holes all over the  fabric!  And, my results don't seem worth the effort.  Arrgggh!  I like instant, easy results.  So, from now on, I'll stick to clamping and rubber bands.

These four t-shirts, using a mixture of the three techniques,  were dyed using the same commercial dyes I used on the silk scarves I showed you in the last blog.  They are so hippy, bright and happy that I love them.  They remind me of my adolescence, when real hippies felt they were really changing the world.


I have quite a few unfinished  works on the go.  There is the knitting - of course! I have finished my tree quilt and now have to bind and back it.   I have 2 pots bubbling away on the stove now.  One is full of metal and gumleaves and alum.  I hope to use this mix to make a dyeing brew to create the colour I want for the quilt binding.  The second pot has some pods from the leopard plant in the next-door garden and some gum leaves.  I hope to get a nice grey dye from that pot.  We'll see.  Natural dyeing is very unpredictable.  I am also working on some stuffed fish, made from some shibori fabric I dyed which reminds me of  the koi carp I saw in Japan.  Right now, I am giving them shape and definition using variegated embroidery thread.   I haven't decided how to do the eyes yet.  Paint?  Embroidery?  Fabric?  Hmmmm. When they are finished, I think that I will varnish them  so they resist dirt and grime.  I have to get some more t-shirts and fabric to clamp for the dyeing in next weeks class too!

My two cohorts, Miranda and Elizabeth came over during the week to experiment with making scented coasters.  Members of the BIA are running a Christmas stall outside GOMA, and cd covers featuring art work will be on sale there.  Unfortunately, we spent a lot of our time drinking champagne, eating smoked salmon and salad, and  these beautiful little concoctions Bob made for us:


However, we also got some coasters made.  Miranda kindly supplied cinnamon oil and cinnamon which we mixed together to scent the coasters.  We made pockets to hold the mixture out of muslin, then put a layer of wadding, and then a casing out of fabric.  Miranda used some of her sun-dyed fabric, which made me want to try the technique again.  The rice, kitchen paraphenelia, bubble wrap and leaves really create great, interesting patterns.  Her first effort was a triumph with an overlapping envelop back so the insert could easily be removed for washing.  She wasn't as keen on her second but I liked it.  My effort wasn't as successful as I used white calico, and the cinnamon powder ket seeping out in aromatic clouds and dusting the room - which smelled very nice!  I gave up on the insert and pocket backs and made these, which don't smell but don't stain either:


We discovered that they do not fit into the cd cases!  Never mind!  We can still use them!

By the way, I sent these little paper pieces through as my cd contribution:









 

 
Then, I rediscovered the joys of indigo dyeing.  Like a coven of witches (and one warlock)  we gathered round the brewing pot as it worked its magic:


 
We discovered that the second brew really turned green and had stronger results.  Either way, it is like watching magic happening to see the dipped material transform to a wonderful blue as it is exposed to the air.  I was bouncing round the place with excitement and kept finding more and more things to dye.  As we dyed, we discovered that the crispest results with a strong contrast between the dyed and undyed sections came from white cotton.  Silk, especially silk chiffon, appears to absorb the colour more so the patterns are more subtle.  Skin, by the way dyes beautifully too!  As you know, I am very messy when I work.  Soap and water worked on the flecks on my arms, and vegetable oil had, I thought, cleaned my face.  However, that night, as I cleaned up, I discovered that my make-up removing cloth was blue!  My nails today are still all blue due to the gloves breaking and seem impossible to clean, no matter what I use, though the best results seem to come from face wipes.
 
These pictures show the fabrics drying in the sun.  I can't wait to wash mine out in salt and cold water and wear my new shirt and t-shirts!
 




 
 
Well, my pot is cooling down, so it is time to wrap up my cloth full of leaves and boil it. I'll talk to you in the next blog.  But, before I go, while I am talking about art in the kitchen, these are the highlights of our meals this week:
 

Steamed mussels and fresh tomato and basil sauce.

 
Aussie style Jamaican patties and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment