Friday 8 March 2013

Of exhibitions and mixed media

What an interesting week!  We have had a robbery, injuries, continual rain, and a constant trail of workmen through the house, but my friend, Trish, and I  have also had lots of little creative excursions and I have somehow managed to get on with my projects.
 
We had a marvelous time visiting the Asia Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art (APT) at the Queensland Art Gallery.


 As usual, it was mind-blowing.  The two  Queensland galleries should be commended for continuously staging  such magnificent exhibitions which appeal to a wide audience.  This time, there were more installations and less paintings than last time, but I still found it amazing. 

I  adored the work of the Chinese Made In Company.  They did a marvelous installation of a flourescent island with flourescent trees called "Spread", but my favourite was a faintly creepy wall hanging which was just as wonderful, called "Overrun the Four Seas" of which this is a detail.


 The Indonesian contribution, by the artist collective Ruangrupa, incorporated all sorts of elements - from posters to letters, to stencils, to graffiti, to motor scooters,  in an installation piece called "The Kuda: the Untold Story of Indonesian Underground Music in the 70s".  Good fun, while describing a not fun period in Indonesian society .  These are some elements from it.


 
I tend to dislike most hand-blown glass animals, but loved the savannah type of expanse of this sea of animals by Tiffany Chung of Vietnam, called, poetically enough, "roaming with the dawn-snow drifts, rain falls, desert wind blows". 



In fact a lot of the installations were great.  Look at the shadows cast by this one by Sopolemalama Filipe Tohi of New Zealand and Tonga:



 Finally, I really adored some of the work from our near neighbours.  Aren't these great?
First is "Tokatokoi" by PNG's Vunapaka Cultural Group.



Next is Allana Movana of PNG's "Rarapka":



 
 Lastly, this is Ben Afex of Papua Indonesia's "Spirit Mask":


We also had a quick look at some of the the other displays in the galleries. There were some nice pieces from some great Australian artists: Margaret Olley, Margaret Preston and Olsen, to name a few.  However, I loved the wood work from traditional aboriginal artists- so much control using fairly simple tools to create an object of elegance which is useful too. This is "Coolamon" by an unknown artist in about 1900. 



And some of their paintings too made me want to play with the ideas and techniques too. 

Of course, not all of the exhibition was to my taste, but I still enjoyed the total experience.  I recommend that you visit it soon, before it is over.

Because of the rain, I have got quite a bit of knitting done.  I have finished the doll's body, sewed it together, and am now working on the clothes.  Because it is smaller than the other dolls, I am enjoying this project better.  Plus, I was knitting with the expert, Trish, and somehow the company made for a more positive attitude.  Of course, she finished her project quickly, while I am still battling on. 

And, I have got a some painting done.  Not sure about some of it, but I am learning a lot and enjoying myself.  I especially like the way my rather abstract homage to the red centre turned out.

 
 
I surpirised myself by coming up with this also very abstract one:
 
 
 
This one is a fun one based on butterflies and maps of the Brisbane area:
 
 
 
And this is the finished one I did of Sandy Point:
 
 
 
 I took advantage of a lull in the constant rain squalls to do some tie dyeing.  The fabrics were sitting stewing in their plastic bags, waiting to be untied.  Today I opened them and am really pleased with the results. 
 

 When they are ironed, I can start making the fish. In the meantime I am trying to get all the stains out of the clothes I was wearing while I dyed.  When will I a) dress appropriately? b)  be less messy?  Probably never.

No comments:

Post a Comment