Wednesday 24 April 2013

Change is good....... Sometimes.

I galloped joyfully back to class this week and participated in a bit of show and tell.  As a result, I reassessed some of my work, and was inspired by everyone else's work.  So....... I made some changes.

This picture now has a rainbow serpent in it, inspired by the aboriginal dreamtime serpent who created the earth.  I am much happier now.


I found this old mono print of nudes in my stack of life drawings that I had become stumped by, and added inks to it to to create this colourful picture.  I hope I'll do more life drawing soon.  I enjoy it though I can not understand how anyone can go that long without moving.  I couldn't!



It was suggested that I add a wash to my blue and white patchwork canvas, which I still felt needed something to finish it off. So, I mixed up light gold wash and swirled it over the surface. Absolutely yuck!  I added a gloss of  Mod Podge . Still yuck! I was still struggling on this one.  I added more gold and mod podge.  I think I have it!  Do you?




In the meantime, I am preparing new canvases.  This one is using a pattern of  PVA glue.



  This other one uses a pattern of modelling paste.



In the process of  making them, of course, I dropped glue and paste all over the floor and managed to stand in it.  Nevertheless,I am looking forward to adding colour to them both.

 I am going to try using some of the ideas from "Plaster Studio", by Stephanie Lee and Judy Wise ( North Light Books - see CreateMixed Media.com).  I like a lot of the techniques in it, though I don't like all the art.  I need to get to a hardware store  since my joint compound has run out so I can try some of these techniques out.

I was talking to a friend about the ideas she is trying to develop for a school anniversary art piece and got quite excited.  Some of my ideas were a painted or mosaic mural, a quilt made of paper or fabric contributions by the kids, totem poles decorated by each class, a path or wall made from handmade tiles, cut out hands, or bodies decorated by each child, flags decorated by each class, masks by each child and  prayer flags made by each child.  I got so inspired that I can't wait to create my own mosaic path, prayer flags or totem pole sculptures for my garden.  One day.......I already have a mask wall outside my house.  Why not add to it?

As well as painting, I have started on my hand dyed quilt, which is once again a homage to my trip to Alice Springs.  Considering what a short time I spent there, it really has made an impression on me!
I have pieced it using the rich colours of the centre of Australia, and contrasting it with the grey, flatter colours of rocks I have come across.  I decided to use photocopies of leaves as an appliqué of be surface, so my recent walks consisted of finding interesting leaves with insect bites, warm colours and diseases on them .  The dogs were loving these excursions.  Now I am experimenting with Transfer Artist Paper to transfer drawings of insects on too.



Speaking of colours, I have been informed that people in the know that clothing designers, florists and homewhere designers use Pantone's colour of the year to design their wares each year.  Plus, many ordinary people/consumers actually base what they wear and decorate with every year on this chosen colour.  In fact, a lot of people actually redecorate themselves and their homes every year according to the decree.  Obviously, I am not such a consumer!  However, an artist friend of mind actually keeps this in mind when designing pieces for the home, and it has affected her sales positively. This year's colour is emerald - which I love, but I notice that I haven't used it much this year.  Perhaps I should!  I am so last year right now!  I have been using 2012's colour, tangerine, this year instead.

Lastly, this week we took the dogs down to Nudgee for a walk where the rivers meet the sea. It was a beautiful day and the tide was out, so we could walk through the mangroves and onto the mudflats.  We shared the walk with horses, other dogs and people fishing.  Some of the fisherfolk were in boats, others used rods and two men were casting nets in the Vietnamese style.  The gulls, pelicans and sea eagle viewed all this human endeavour rather disparagingly, but there was great human excitement when someone pulled in a fish or a crab.  We let the dogs off the leads in the lead free area, but, for a change, they were pretty uninterested in the other dogs which ranged from Pembrokeshire Corgis, beagles, German Shepherds and Labradors to, to me, typically Brisbane dogs: Maltese crosses, Staffordshire terriers, Bull mastiff crosses and Kelpie crosses. I took a lot of photos of the mudflats as usual- I find them very inspiring for pieces-  and am wondering about a dog piece too.





After, we crossed the river to Shornecliffe for fish and chips and ice cream. The dogs enjoyed the attention they got from passerbys - Cairns are unusual in Brisbane- and the chips, plus an extra walk along the river, watching the tide gradually covering the mudflats.

ps.  I was admiring a bag a friend was carrying that was made out of old LPs.  Turns out it was made by Record A-Go-Go.  Find out about it on Etsy or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment