Wednesday 15 May 2013

Etching the non-toxic way

 
I've finally finished my quilt!  Yay!  What a long process, but it was worth it!  Time to start another one!
 
 
 
 
This weekend, I did a non-toxic etching workshop with Carolyn McKenzie.  I think I was the worst person in the group - I couldn't quite catch on to the progress of ceaning off the bitumin in the bath, and was accused of having a memory like a goldfish, but I still had fun.
 
These are my efforts at collographs (using chocolate boxes!):
  
 
 
 
 
  
I also discovered how to transfer photocopies of my self-portraits by using eucalyptus oil  (I hope I don't really look like these!  I distorted them by doing them as a loose drawing exercise, then moving the photocopier a lot).  I can tell I am going to be using this method again!  Just think of the things you could do with photos too
 
 

 





All the following etchings were done using postcard sized sheets of aluminium plate.

This etching was done using the non-toxic etching process ( degreasing with cloudy ammonia and whiting powder, coating with bitumin and turpentine, etching, then rinsing in a solution of copper sulphate, salt and water, then inked and printed on the press).
This one, I just etched the aluminium, then inked up.


 
This is another etched image .


And this one uses the non-toxic method too.


 
Hope I manage to get into another of her courses in the future.  I found this one really inspiring

No comments:

Post a Comment