Thursday 24 July 2014

Felt mobiles, knitting, and printing photos on to fabric.

I  finished off the mobiles I was making using felt, embroidery and beads and think they look rather Christmasy.  Each side has a different pattern so they are very individual. The kittens think that I made them especially for them to tear apart, so I am keeping them safely hidden from them.





 




I have been rocketing away at the jumper I have been knitting.  I am on to the sleeves now, and feeling very motivated to finish it with the cool weather setting in.


As well as that, I have been sorting my eco-dyed fabrics into colour groups and printing some of my photos onto fabric using the home printer. As I go, I am learning more about printing on fabric adhered to paper that I showed you in a previous post.  It is important to adjust the settings when you print to  "best quality" and a heavy paper (eg photo paper) when you print, otherwise the colours appear washed out and may have lines on them, like these ones.


I can still use the pictures for a quilt, because I often cut them up, and I can add paint or embroidery to them, but if you want to embroider on a picture, it is best to go for a better quality, like this one.


 I am trying decide whether to make a quilt, a runner, some embroidered pictures or all of the above, when I have amassed all the fabric.  I guess it depends on my mood when I actually start.

As well as working on my art at home, I have been exploring the aquarium with some of my family, and finding inspiration from some of the wonderful displays there.








I also visited wthe zoo with the family, and discovered the wonderful weaving done by Wendy Golden, the consultant working with Snowdon Architects for the lemur exhibit. I had already seen the monkey baskets woven by the Basketmakers of Victoria  on a previous visit, but this was amazing.  I am so jealous of those lemurs!

 


Even walking the dogs has brought little pockets of art into my life.  I discovered this amazing garden in Surrey Hills.


 

 


What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment