Thursday 6 September 2012

Art journals and diaries

I adore travelling - preferably to somewhere I have never visited before, so I can explore a new culture, language, food, landscape......new anything and everything.  Whenever I go anywhere new, I take tons of photos.  I keep a diary and/or write daily missives home.  In latter years, I have started doing little paintings or drawings too.  Now, I try to create and diary/art journal of my experiences either during the trip or as a result of the trip, to remind me of my experiences and give me ideas for my art.



One favourite place to visit has been to Vietnam, with my friend Trish.  We have been hooked by the people, culture, food, art, shopping - everything about the country.  I am only an amateur photographer, but I reckon it is almost impossible to take a really bad photo in Vietnam.  And every time I get back from Vietnam, I make a journal/diary which gives me further inspiration to paint, sew and print.



 
This was my first diary.  I used a commercial visual diary, but made a fabric cover which incorporated patchwork, collage, machine embroidery and photos printed on fabric.

Inside, I wrote in silver ink and incorporated photos, drawings, lino prints.

I
 
My second trip resulted in this diary.  I bought the little book in Vietnam and then wrote in it and used black watercolour  to record the images:

 
 


 
 
As a result of those two trips, I produced these pieces of art, among others.
 
 
"Buddhist nun"  Oil painting.
 
 
"Jungle woman".  Painting on fabric with Shiva paint sticks, printing, machine embroidery.
 
 
Patchwork, applique and machine embroidery.
 
I was lucky enough to visit Europe with my husband last year.  This is my fabric diary of Sweden.  I printed photos on the fabric and painted, drew, patchworked, printed, cut out and dyed the fabric  as well.  Then I bound it with cotton thread.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also made a little paper art journal as a result of the trip.  I painted, did collage, printed and cut out. Then, I bound it and decorated it with beads. Great fun!:
 
 
 
 
 
The fabric diary of Austria used the same techniques as the Swedish fabric diary:
 
 
 
 
 
 The Copenhagen stage of the European trip resulted in this paper based diary.  Lots of watercolours and cut out/collages in the one:
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Later in the year, I am hoping to make it to Japan.  I am already thinking about the form my new diary will take!

No comments:

Post a Comment