Wednesday 12 October 2016

Day 3 Tokyo

Today, we went back to Shibuya to see if I could connect my camera to my iPad.  Thank goodness for smart young people.  The young lady in the store kindly set up the app for me,  gratis.  We all cheered when it was done.  Now I can post photos - if I don't write too much, and if nothing else happens due to my ineptitude.

The next stop was Loft to check out the stationary department.  Absolutely amazing!  Everything from pens to calendars, stickers to note books, papers to washi tape.  You could really go mad in here.

We moved on to Muji for lunch and then strolled down to the incredible Tokyu Hands for craft supplies.  I kept getting diverted by the incredible non-craft things for sale.  What an obsession the Japanese have with Halloween, which they seem to regard as an excellent opportunity for dressing up and decorating, party mode. I am blown away by the enormous range of goods for increasing your flexibility.  I think I really need a massaging chair.  It is as good as a physiotherapist!  When we finally reached the craft section, I desperately wanted the modelling clays, the leathers and the papers there, but settled for incredibly cheap embroidery threads, patchwork squares, and a cross-stitch pattern.  How come these are so much cheaper than in Australia?  Next time, I am bringing a larger suitcase.  I got a crush on some of the stylishly quirky, senior citizens shopping in there.  Wish I had to nerve to photograph them all.  One woman was dressed in an electric blue satin skirt, a sequined jacket and a magnificent hat.  A man had a sort of skirt, sweeping coat, blocky platform shoes and  pony tail and looked like a sci fi hero.  While in Tokyu Hands, we also checked out the pet shop with its incredible array of accessories for pets.  Somehow, I don't think my cats would wear a fedora, or the dogs would appreciate being dressed in Halloween outfits, but I can dream!  I yearned after a very cute hedgehog and played with a tame baby budgie, then reluctantly left them and moved on to Science base which was awesome.  Lots and lots of science based goods which were so much fun!

The next department store on the list was the Incredibly expensive Tokyu Honten store.  We focussed on the 8th floor Art Gallery with its collection of antique china and glasswear, an paintings by Japanese artists such as Tomoko Abe and  Leonard Foujita.  Very different and very interesting, but way beyond my price range.

We were exhausted so popped into the French, Brasserie Viron for a sit and some tea.  The couple beside us was enjoying a, for us, very odd combination: French pastries and a salad with what looked like blood sausage, washed down with cappuccino.

Then, it was back home on the metro, stopping to buy a pre- prepared meal at the local supermarket.

Ps.  Having problems accessing photos right now. Sigh.  Will add them later.

1 comment: