Saturday 2 February 2013

After the cyclone, life goes on.

This week has been me acting like the tortoise in the story, " The Tortoise and the Hare".  I have been very slow and steady in my work.  This has partly been because of the cyclonic conditions up here, which had us all experienced heat, humidity, rain and wind,  then some poor souls also coping with the effects of rising creeks and rivers, destroyed businesses and/ or homes, and, for some others, suffering death or injury.  I am very lucky in that I live in a fairly sheltered part of Brisbane, but I realised how easily tragedy can hit anyone when a pregnant woman and her three year old son were hit by a falling tree in my neighbourhood park.  The child died and the woman is seriously injured.  This cyclone once again empathises how helpless we humans are in the face of nature, in spite of all our achievements.  However, it also brings out the best in people.  I have once again been awed at the efficiency, selflessness  and cheerfulness with which Brisbanites approach the ensuing clean up.  Australians are often seen by outsiders as laid back and easy going.  What is less well known is how often Australians volunteer to help others, frequently, and usually, without being asked.  Without these volunteers, the country would not be able to operate as well as it does.

While working, I usually listen to music, the radio, or a recorded book, but this week, like last week,  I also watched the final episode in the three series on Grayson Perry 's making of the tapestries depicting the social classes and tastes of the social classes of England, " All in the Best Possible Taste".  I found the series absolutely fascinating as it gave me an insight into how he developed an idea into a piece of art, but also because it made me think a lot about  class, taste, individuality, and society.  I loved his  comment,  " Google is the great tool of the modern artist".  It is oh so true!  I get so many of my ideas, techniques and encouragement from Google!

As a result, of my watching and listening,  I  finally finished embroidering my sampler quilt, and am pretty stoked with how it turned out.  I am just about to back it, quilt the joints and finish it off as a wall hanging.  Then, I'll either sell it or exhibit it.  Or both.

I also cut out and started arranging some scraps I have left over from another project. Still can't quite
decide what to make them into. Baby rug? Bag? Cushion? Scroll? Suggestions anyone?
 


And, I have started cutting out the strips for my string quilt.  Again, there are decisions to be made now that I have chosen the fabrics from my stash of Japanese fabrics.  Single bed quilt, double bed quilt or throw?  Probably depends on how long it takes for me to get bored!  One of the side effects of this cutting has been the ribbony scraps left over.  They look so good tangled together that I have gathered them together to make into another art piece later.  I am thinking of  fusing them together by ironing them onto a backing cloth, then embroidering on top.  We'll see.  Probably, they will end up as part of my stack of UFOs ( unfinished objects).


While cutting up the quilt stips, on the spur of the moment I decided to make this wrist cuff/ bracelet/ wrist band/ sweat band.  I like it so much, I have been wearing it a lot - in spite of the heat!  It actually isn't hot to wear because it is made of light cotton.  And it is fun.

I might make some more!  And I wonder what head bands would look like?

Lastly, I have ordered my dyes from Batik Oetero.  Can't wait for them to arrive so I can get dyeing again!

As well as working on my own, I had a lovely morning with my 2 cronies, when I attended a knitting session run by Jennine Birrell ( of Fibre Arts Road) and her partner every Thursday morning from 9 to 11 am at The Crosstown Eating House (and Uptown drinks lounge)  in Woolloongabba.  What a great idea!  You can have coffee and muffins  ( this week it was white chocolate and pineapple, which was apparently delicious), or whatever you want to eat, while you knit, and there is an expert on hand to help if you run into trouble.  As patterns, design,  crochet and fibre arts are part of their skill sets, you really get value for money.  Plus, the group is very welcoming and friendly, and you can chat as you work.  It all managed to re-ignite my interest in knitting, so I am actually progressing with my latest knitted doll!

I enjoyed the venue so much, and the staff at the eatery were so nice, I stayed for lunch.  I had a beautifully refreshing pineapple and mint chiller, and a cold pork, Asian style salad which was very tasty, and made me feel virtuously healthy. I'll be back!

Speaking of food, I have been wondering whether to start another , this time, food based blog, instead of letting this one be diverted from its made purpose of art and craft.  Do I have the energy?  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment