Tuesday 30 April 2013

Showing off Brisbane

I haven't accomplished much this week except for a hat and jacket for my doll:


I think she looks rather smart.

Although I haven't done a lot, I have been getting lots of ideas for future works.  I had some friends visiting from Melbourne and I took them to the wonderful Tangled Yarns in Newstead for some knitting wool.  I have fallen in love with Noro yarns  and patterns am very tempted to make myself something using them, expensive though they may turn out.  Hmmmmmm.  Must think.  I have so much wool, I should use it up first, I suppose.

We also went to the BrisStyle "Saving the Lost Arts" twilight market, which was great fun.


It was great to see the demonstrations from artists like those from the Spinners and Weavers Association:


and it was nice to see people participating in making things:


 I particularly like Zillpa's beautiful baskets (www.zillpa.com), but there were a lot of other crafts to buy for those who like handmade items. 

I was very proud to see the Brisbane Institute of Art's contribution of cd cases, designed by a variety of artists, including me!


   I thought the displays by Terry Summers were humorous too.

 
I love good craft markets!  I much prefer buying hand-made, individual presents for people than buying mass produced stuff.
 
We also visited GOMA, but unfortunately, they were packing up the Asia Pacific exhibition.  Still, we  were able to admire the great heads made by the Sulka people of East New Britain.




I reckon they would look brilliant in my garden.

My visitors were blown away by the wall of discs by Edwin Roseno, "Green Hypermarket".  I think they want to experiment with using food cans as planters.




But, the best encounter was with this wonderful lizard which lives in the watergardens.  He came and sat at my feet and posed beautifully for photos. I love the patterns on him, I think I need to incorporate them in some future work.



 


Such a handsome chappy!


No comments:

Post a Comment