Saturday 13 April 2013

The Toowoomba Show.

You would think I'd learn not to trust myself.  Today, while preparing a canvas with gesso, I spilt gesso in my tea and on the floor, then noticed the dining table was splashed with it too.  In my first art class, I took a swig of turpentine, instead of  water and had to spit it out and then wash my mouth out- several times.  Everyone stared at me - first in horror, then astonished at my stupidity -  and  after I seemed okay,  laughed at me for the test of the class.  Including the teacher.   Some women waft up to classes, dressed all in white or in elegant clothes, and emerge a few hours later looking just as beautiful.  I look like I have been trying out body painting all the time.  I get paint, dye, ink and glue in my hair, on my clothes, on my face, under my nails.......  I have learned to change into a new outfit if I am going out to lunch after class.  It is worse than when I garden.  I ruin shoes, speckle my handbags with dye spots, coat the dogs in oil paint, tramp dye through the house.  I am currently blaming the lack of a studio but I have a funny feeling that all the mess is due to me a) doing things on impulse, b) not preparing my workspace, d) rushing things, d) not cleaning up as I go, e) being a klutz.

In spite of this failing, I've been working on a real mixture of media this week.  Not exactly focused on one form of art.  I guess you could call me eclectic, if you want to be nice.

I am enjoying making my AK hares.  No idea why I am making them.  Perhaps visiting kids can make up stories about them when they come to my home.  I'm starting to dress them in different  clothes.  I can feel a punk one coming on.



I am also trying to finish knitting  another outfit for my doll.  Hopefully doll this will have more outfits than Barbie!  Again, this isn't necessarily for anyone.  I just feel like it.

I've coated my fish with varnish and it has brought the colour up nicely.  It looks very koi -like.  Really pleased with it.  It 's an enormous one... like the ones I saw in Japan.  I have devised a hanger, out of chains and jewellery bits to finish it off.  I've always wanted a pond full of koi.  It is not that they are beautiful.  In truth they are a bit ugly.  But I love their colours, pattern and size......and links to Japanese and Chinese art.  If I ever settle in one house, I might make a shoal of them to float across my ceiling.

Then I started playing with some new blue inks I had and some textured papers,  this is what I came up with.  A bit different to anything I have done before.  Reminds me of one of those Greek tales.


I'm also working on some new pieces on canvas influenced by my trip to Japan.  I am using some of the stencils I made to use with my screen printing.  This is the beginning of one of them.

 I am cutting a new fish stencil to add another layer to this one.  I'm using modelling paste on another one to make it three dimensional.  Pictures coming up later.

I' m  in the mood for another quilt too.  I have the squares I showed you earlier, and more Japanese fabric, but am veering towards another hand dyed one.  Mmmmmm.  Will let you know when I make up my mind.

It was pouring rain this weekend, so of course we decided to drive 125 kilometres to the Toowoomba Show.  It was cool and overcast when we arrived, but naturally, within an hour, the rain followed us so it was a rather uncomfortable experience.  I wasn't very impressed by most of the art work though there were a few nice pieces.  I was stunned at the prices being asked though!  I think I need to charge more for my labour!  However, I was impressed by the standard of photography, the whip making and some of the work by the Spinners and Weavers Association.  Made me almost want to take up spinning again. Bob was incredulous at the price being charged for slices of cake........ until I pointed out they were actually slices of hand made soap made to look like cake.

We both avoided the side show, with its very bored looking personnel and its tired looking wares, but, as usual, had great fun trailing round the animal exhibits.

This time we spent a lot of time admiring the alpacas and their variety of fleeces.  I love their incredible eyes.  My previous encounters with alpacas have not been very rewarding.  Lots of spitting and kicking.  But these ones were rather sweet, with their beautifully groomed coats and baby- like whimpering.

We also enjoyed the goats, even though they are extremely uncooperative about being photographed. Much friendlier and confident animals, in spite of their tendency to move all the time.  The "white rasta" mohair goats are worth a portrait:

as are the Roman nosed nubian goats:


We renewed our love of the patterns on duck feather and met a few elegant geese.  I am wondering whether I can be bothered to spend the time needed cleaning out duck ponds in order to get a closer acquaintance with duck feathers.  Probably not.  I remember our last Peking ducks.  Lovely bird, but a lot of work, even though I only watched my daughter do it all.  Plus, the foxes love them.  But...... the eggs are nice in omelettes........  Chickens might be easier.  Though not coloured ones like this.


As usual, I yearned after a horse.  The ones at this show were immaculately groomed, with cute little patterns  shaved on their rumps, shiny coats and beautiful manes and tails. I wouldn't even mind having a little Shetland Pony.  I promise I'd draw it all the time!

The sheepdog trials were pretty awe- inspiring too.  Amazing how cleverly a kelpie can read the sheep and its mistress, and get the mob to move in the correct direction with just its movements and eyes.

And then there were the wood chopping men - always a favourite in the past, but, Toowoomba, I think the Victorians are going to beat you.  Gippsland choppers seem stronger and quicker!









1 comment:

  1. you have a nice collection of image. in present time if any one is using good collection of image than his post may be more popular.
    Skincare Toowoomba

    ReplyDelete