Wednesday 18 September 2013

Pinterest inspiration


If you have been following my Pinterest boards, you will have noticed that I have spent a lot of time over the past few weeks pinning inspirational ideas.  However, this time has not really been wasted, because I have also been doing a lot of creating as a result of some of my pins.  For instance, I made these little creations using felt, embroidery threads and bits from some of my discarded jewellery and left over beads:



Also as a direct result of my pins, I have been making bowls out of PVA glue and mulberry paper impregnated with leaves that I found in my local Thai supermarket.  Yes, I know that it is very retro, but it is fun and I really like the results.


Speaking of my local Thai supermarket, I bought dried Red Cotton Tree flowers  and  Sorrel ( hibiscus sabdariffa)


I boiled the cotton fabric in soda ash, mordanted it with alum and boiled it in the dried flower soup.  The colour was amazing, but I had to rinse the fabric to get off the sludge and it faded a lot.  I also dyed with purple carrots and the same thing happened. I really haven't got much control in this eco-dyeing yet.  I need to do a workshop.  I still like the fabrics I got, but was hoping for something darker.  I haven't lost enthusiasm though, because my efforts with dyeing waterproof paper were much more successful.  Now to decide to do with all the fabric and paper.

Pinterest also encouraged me to embroider on a jean shirt with variegated Japanese yarn.  Subtle but I really like the effect.  Here are some of the images I free-hand embroidered






And, I finally finished knitting the beanie for the other half.  Believe it or not, he has actually worn it up here in Brisbane!

No comments:

Post a Comment