Tuesday 22 October 2013

Exhibitions in Brisbane, knitting bees in Melbourne.

I forgot to say in my last post that I also got taken to the  Connections Renewed exhibition at the BIA, in Brisbane.  Lyn Derrick's work, unfortunately did not come out clearly in my photos. The pottery is by Linda Beck:

 

I especially like her blue pieces:


Another artist was Lily Karmatz who worked with plants to produce some stunning effects:



My favourite artist was Sharon Lee, mainly because she uses a lot of techniques I am familiar with in an interesting way.  She also is a lovely person, and explained the way she works with stencil, monoprint, screen-prints, and other techniques very patiently to us.  She was so encouraging!





 

 
 


I also was lucky enough to be taken to the museum to see Afghanistan: Hidden Treasures from the National Museum, Kabul.  The exhibition is really worth seeing as it is very informative , giving an incredible glimpse of what an amazing place Afghanistan is, with a long civilisation and history and, being at the centre of the Silk Road, having cultural influences  from China, India, Persia, and Mesopotamia.  The  tale of how the treasures we see today were saved from the  barbaric destruction of members of the Taliban is impressive, but the fact that so much has been lost to the Afghanis and the world is heartbreaking.  We weren't allowed to take photos, but what remains is so beautiful, demonstrates extraordinary craftsmanship and artistic talent, and reveals an Afghanistan that the world media rarely mentions.  At the end of the exhibit there is a changing exhibit of the peoples of Afghanistan, whose faces reflect their mixed heritage and their country's beauty.  I feel very privileged to have been able to attend this exhibition.  It is worth seeing if you are in Brisbane.

As I am in the rather depressing process of packing up in Brisbane and preparing the house in Melbourne for our impending move, I haven't had much time for creating.  However, I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with a knitting and crochet group in Melbourne who meet monthly to knit rugs for the Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia, and make other items for themselves.  The rugs, which are given to each woman who leaves the hospital, need to be made of acrylic wools, and be bright.  Look at the wonderful colours of the rug currently in process:


The knitters and crocheters vary in age - we even had a budding member of three!  It does my heart good to know that there are wonderful people in our community willing to share with the less fortunate of this world.  The other items being worked on for themselves or their friends and relations were equally creative:


( a baby's beanie)

(a cardigan)

(a rug)

(a scarf)

(a shawl)

(more of the Ethiopia rug)


( a basket)


(a floor rug)


( a necklace for Miss Three).

Are you feeling jealous?  Start your own group!  This one meets once a month and those attending vary according to what they have on in their other lives, so the same people do not always manage to make it,but it is a lovely way to share ideas, chat with old friends, share food, have some time to create, and do good.  Plus, I had the pleasure of reacquainting myself with the other members of the household, including this rather bizarre looking frizzled hen who gave me a very beady eye, when I failed to remember to bring weeds and snails:



This is the last you will probably be hearing from me on this blog for a while until I have finished the torturous moving process.  Keep creating, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment