Monday 2 December 2013

Discovering being an artist in Melbourne

My long absence from my blog is, as you might have guessed, due to moving my home from Brisbane to Melbourne.  I thought I would be saying goodbye to outside living, only checking the weather to see if would rain or not, living in shorts and t shirts, walking every morning along Kedron Creek, geckoes in the house, lizards in the garden, travelling by ferry and  bougainvilleas

 
 as well bush turkeys, ibis, floods, poinsiannas, frangipanis, jacarandas
 
 
and less pleasant experiences, such as workmen starting hammering at 6.30 am, no daylight saving, cane toads and days of high humidity. 
 
I thought I would be reacquainting myself with daylight saving, the adventure of Melbourne weather, unexpected sculptures in suburban gardens
 
 
roses,
 
 
European style gardens
 
 
 
familiar eucalypts, walking along Back Creek, plus chilling or baking winds, starlings, blackbirds, gulls and sparrows. 
 
 Instead, circumstances mean that I am still flitting between the two cities, which is great in that I am saying au revoir and not adieu to friends in Brisbane and  I am reacquainting myself with my Melbourne friends and family, but fairly stressful as far as creating every day goes.
 
Still, I have managed to catch an exhibition in Fernbank, Victoria, of work by the East Gippsland Potters, with featured artists Malcolm Boyd, Wendy Reeve and  Paul Gennings.
 






 

 
(Of course, I succumbed to temptation there.)
 
I also rediscovered the revamped Sky High Gardens in the Dandenongs with a Jamaican friend.  She loved the sculptures
 
 
 
 
and was lucky enough to see a very laid-back foraging echidna.
 
I discovered that I am apparently responsible for a friend in Brisbane creating this piece of crocheting as she was inspired by one of my Pinterest posts.
 
 
At home, I have managed to unpack all my equipment but have discovered that I have more than can fit in the room that I designated as my studio.  Ah well, it is back to the dining room table!
 
In spite of the aforementioned stress, I am managing to finally get some knitting and embroidery done, resume sketching, and  start on an art doll.  Things are looking up! By next week, I hope to have some finished works to show you.  Cross your fingers!
 
 

1 comment: