Wednesday 22 January 2014

Exploring paint with children and making a start on my new rug.

After giving us all lots of worries while he was "cooking" in the womb, my fourth grandchild arrived safely and has proved to be a cheerful, healthy and adventurous little mite.  Gorgeous.
 
While his parents were busy getting ready to greet him, I had the pleasure of babysitting his sister.  A friend had to work, so her daughter joined us in our painting day.  We used gesso and some watercolour techniques- straws, rollers, salt, spray bottles - and had the most amazing fun.  As they said,  making mess is wonderful. 
 



Later on, they insisted on experimenting  a bit more, so we tried out collage, using cut outs of our drawings, glue and glitter.  More wonderful mess.


The next babysitting day, we were joined by one of my grandsons and tried using acrylic paint, home made stamps (including halved and carved potatoes), stencils and hands:


 

I played too, but using inks for these two pieces:


 
 and mixing all types of media for this one:

I also participated in a grandma play date.  She crocheted:


while I knitted that eternal knee rug I have been slogging at for what feels like centuries.

  I have also been working on my new "penny rug", using wool felt squares and embroidery:
 


As you can see, I have a fair way to go before it becomes a quilt.

PS.  This is a lovely surprise present that I received in the mail the other day:  a porcelain pendant  by artist Nancy Brown.  Love it!


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment