Wednesday 3 September 2014

A month in my creative life

What an amazing month August was!

I  decided to participate in the Create and Thrive challenge, Month in the Life, and posted a photo and and update every day for August.  ( If you haven't caught them, check out my Pinterest or a Facebook sites). Let me tell you, the discipline required  almost killed me!  But, I learned a lot too.  Firstly, my daughter taught me how to improve my use of the camera and introduced me to Picmonkey which is great for editing pictures.   She also gave me some pointers on using Etsy and developed some banners for my various sites. I am very grateful because I feel very intimidated by the technology involved.

Committing  a post a day was also good because it encouraged me to look at the work of other people, and consider themes for my work.  Plus, in what turned out to be a very busy month, it made me keep creating every day.

I had decided to do a month of ecodyeing, printing and painting on fabric and  paper and with the resulting materials I have several projects on the go.

The first is this table runner which incorporates new and old fabrics which I have coloured, machine embroidery using multicoloured thread, and appliqués of photocopies of gum leaves.


The second  project, using scraps of dyed, printed, photocopied  and painted fabrics,  is going to be placemats.  I intend to embroider on them, but haven't quite decide the method to use.


These squares are going to be a small patchwork quilt.  I am still deciding whether  to print on it, embroider it, or leave it plain.


I am putting my dyed watercolour papers into an artists book which I intend to use as a diary during my upcoming trip to Vietnam. I'll carry some pens, watercolour pens and a brush with me,


As well as the above, I have continued knitting and have nearly finished my jumper.  Of course, as is my wont,  I got fed up with the pattern, so I have changed cuffs and bottom from the original pattern.  I hope this is a good idea!  If not, I'll be doing a lot of pulling out!

In addition to my own work, I have been admiring the work of others.  One daughter has taught herself to crochet and made some lovely little items for the new addition to the family - my fifth grandchild! ( Can't wait to meet her, she looks beautiful.)

Then, we have rediscovered some pieces done by relatives of my husband's family.

These two pieces were done by Hal Porter.  He was more known for his novels, but I really like his art work:




And this piece of envelope art was done by another relative.  We are still trying to find out who.

How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment