Monday 29 September 2014

Hanoi Day 4

Today we explored decided to get some money from one of the many ATMs in the city and check out how the floral picture had turned out.  We were amazed that Hanoi was celebrating my life- 1954 to 2014.  


Then, we thought about it seriously and realised that 1954 really is the date that the French left Vietnam and the country was divided into north and south.  Whatever, the finished effect is worth examining.



We headed for the area round the Cathedral and encountered some rather nice gift, art and craft shops which were aimed at a higher market than the tourist shops nearer to our hotel.  We were interested to find that the Japanese are involved in two of these- one as a charitable organisation supporting ethnic minorities,  Chie, and one  where owners use Japanese design and materials to make the articles in Vietnam (Nagu : www.zantoc.com).  Interesting, since Indigo Store is also the result of a collaboration between a Japanese and. Vietnamese.  We put a bit of Christmas shopping under our belts, then, as my extremities decided to swell up with the heat and the humidity, and I felt like I was wearing large salamis instead of fingers and toes, we decided to take a break and I refreshed my understanding of Vietnamese history while I put my feet up, drank copious amounts of water and stayed cool, and Bob worked.

Later on, we went out for a bit more exploring and people watching.  I love the way the Vietnamese manage to look relaxed in what, for me, would be the most uncomfortable situation.


We strolled down the more upmarket, business and government side of the lake, passing couples posing for photos in their wedding clothes, people walking dogs or just exercising and children playing in the skate park.  We admired the plantings as we walked.  There is something about having lots of water, humidity and heat that makes a place look very fertile and lush.


Since I was trying to show Bob that Vietnam isn't just about cheap goods, but that that there are many classes and sides to this complex country, I took Bob to Trang Tien, which used to be like a middle class department store. We discovered that like so many things since my last trip, it has  transformed itself.  It is now mega luxurious,  full of very expensive foreign shops and doormen who look like they are there to deter the hoi poloi.  They certainly detered us. 

After wandering over to Madame Hien's for dinner ( see my food blog, Patapanfood, for more on this) we strolled home and came across more people burning paper money in the street.....This time a bonfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment