Monday 8 July 2013

Art for children

I finally finished my shrug, and liked it so much that I have overcome my reluctance to knit.  Can't wait to try something more difficult.  As usual, I didn't stick to the pattern, and I didn't think I'd sew it up like the pattern says, since I liked it loose, but decided to do it their way in the end.   It is nice and cool in Australia right now, so I'll get good use from it.


Meanwhile, I am still working on my blanket of many colours.  It is so cute it could be a baby blanket or a knee rug.  I'll work out a use when I am finished.

 

I am very proud of myself after driving to Mt.  Gambier by myself (with the dogs)  - safely.  I loved some of the little vistas I passed on the way: old cottages, gnarled river gums, six little lambs playing a game of catch, streams, bluestone hotels, an emu and chick, rolling hills, the clouds scuttling by.  Being in the country really relaxes you - especially since Melbourne, much as I love it, seems to be getting more polluted, more busy and hustling and more city-like every day.

The dogs and I  stopped to stretch our legs in Dunkeld where I visited a gift shop called "Only Ewe", and caught up on my gift buying.  Some nice alpaca and mohair products there, and lots of lovely things for babies, amongst other things. A walk around the town showed that the usual hikers still enjoy the region.  I briefly considered hiking as a leisure activity, then rejected it as I couldn't take the dogs ( Not really!  I am just not fit enough!). Then, it was off to Mt. Gambier to catch up with family. 

The trip back was wet, misty and blowy, so not very pleasant.  The only thing that made it worthwhile was having to slow for flocks of galahs, short-beaked corellas and crimson rosellas on the road into Skipton.

Apart from knitting, I really enjoyed encouraging the two year olds with their art. 



I really don't know why so many parents feel that they can't introduce their children to art at home.  It is simple to make up an art box or bag:  Simply, fill it with things like scraps of coloured paper, finger paint, textas, paint, glue sticks, pva glue, pom poms, glitter, glitter glue, scraps of felt, braid and fabric, stickers, scissors, pipe cleaners, toilet paper tubes, paper, paper plates, masks, crayons, brushes, etc.  They don't have to be expensive.  I buy a lot of stuff from the $2 shops, for instance, or use ingredients from the kitchen cupboard.  The kids don't need to be guided or corrected.


They are not afraid to try things,


 make mistakes,

take risks.


 Let them tell you what it is if they want to, but don't assume it has to represent something or be realistic.  Let them have fun!


Having said that, of course, they may want you to participate:


But, remember that they also get lots of inspiration from each other, just as adult artists do:


I remember that I learned how to draw eyes in profile, rather than ones that look like Cleopatra's from a little girl called Elizabeth in my first year of primary school.

For those of you who need more help with getting the children involved, Here is my recipe for a playdough which will keep for months if stored in a sealed container.

Playdough:

Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
food colouring

Method: 
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. 
Stir over heat until it forms a pliable dough.
Cool before use.

And here are some more ideas:

  • cut a potato in half and carve a pattern (star, circle, or other) into it.  Let them dip it into acrylic paint to print on paper. Printed on butcher's paper, it becomes great wrapping paper.
  • cut a capsicum in half and let them use it to print with
  • collect dried leaves with them and let them glue the leaves onto paper, or place leaves under paper so that when they rub crayon on the paper the texture of the leaf shows
  • give them chalk to draw pictures on the pavement
  • give them dried seeds and pasta to glue on paper
  • put glitter in the playdough.
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment