Friday 26 July 2013

Mixed media

This week, some friends kindly took me to the Philip Bacon Galleries, to see the Cressida Campbell exhibition.  Absolutely amazing!  I could never afford her work ( the cheapest was $6,500 and the dearest, $85,000), but lots of other people can.  Her work was, apparently, all pre-sold.  Her method is amazing.  Some pieces are drawings on pencil onto marine plywood.  These are the pieces I liked most, as the patterns in the wood add to the effect.

 
(Details from "Flannel Flowers", 2011-13.
 

(Detail from "Nasturtiums and Ceramics", 2011-12)

 
("Mandy" 2012)
 
 Others are pencil drawn onto the plywood, then carefully etched, then the watercolour paint is thickly applied, and this is pressed onto paper to make a print. Both the wood image ( with the paint touched up) and the paper print are on show, but I like the wood image best!


(Detail from "Japanese Print and Clivias", 2013)

 
(Detail from "Flannel Flowers", 2013)



("Detail from "Hoya Still Life", 2013)

 
(a very crooked photo of "Interior with Poppies, Margaret Olley's House, 1994)

Also at the gallery were works by people like Margaret Preston, Criss Canning, Charles Blackman, Michael Zavros and Brett Whitely!  Wonderful!

I fell in  love with "Hatchlings", by Kathleen Shillam, 1990.

 
On the way back to the car, we came across the Heiser Gallery, where there was an exhibition of work by Lyndell Brown and Charles Green.  Again, the techniques used  were fascinating: a mixture of photography and oil painting and collage, sometimes on plastic.

And we came across these wonderful vines on a wall:

 
What a lucky woman I am to have friends who take me to see sights like all of these.

Back to what I have been up to:

At last!  I have finished my blue and white quilt!  It is quilted in a sort of sashiko style, with the variegated blue and white thread so there is a pattern on the reverse.  I experimented with the border by using a tie rather than a mitred corner.  I quite like my tribute to Japan!


 

Now, I am doing more quick impressions on nude backs, using Staedtler  triplus fine liners, then moistening the sketch with a watercolour brush.  These quick studies will be photocopied onto cotton, then used to extend my nude back quilt.

I have been also doing a lot of  sketching and doodling, working on ideas for my etching and for future works.

I've prepared and etched two copper plates.  Hopefully, next week I'll have the chance to print from them.

And, I've finally finished my Hare House!




But I am still knitting that blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment